Tour: Sumaguing Cave by Angel
February 21, 2008, 10:50 pm
Filed under: Tour

A visit to Sagada will never be complete without venturing to one of the best this place might offer – the Sumaguing Cave. Aptly called as the Big Cave, it is perhaps the most popular and frequently visited place here.

Sumaguing Cave has the largest chamber of all connecting caves in town (there are more than 60 known caves underneath Sagada). One needs to trek down a slippery trail from its mouth to see the magnificent formations of stalactites and stalagmites that took thousands of years to shape. These formations were carefully sculpted by nature itself to form contours that were given fancy names such as king and queen’s curtains, giant fudge, pregnant woman, mickey mouse, alligator, dancing hall and rice terraces.

Inside are underground streams and natural pools with water temperature near freezing point. Be ready to get wet and chill as the adventure includes crossing a waist-deep pool.

The caves are just down hill from the town hall – just an easy 20-30 minute hike away. The entire trail is on paved road.

A trip to Sumaguing Cave requires a guide. The standard rates are as follows:

Caving
(Sumaguing Cave, view of Lumiang Cave entrance, and view of the Sugong Coffins)

• 1-4 persons : P500 (1 guide)
  • 5 persons : P500 (1 guide)
  • 6-9 persons : P800 (2 guides)
  • 10 persons : P900 (2 guides)
  • 11-14 persons : P1,200 (3 guides)
  • 15 persons : P1,350
  • 16 and above : P100/head

Related posts:

Powered by Facebook Comments

70 Comments so far

[…] significant physical strength. Despite being short on time, we still got to visit the Burial Caves, Sumaging Cave and Echo Valley. I was able to see a lot of things but it was disappointing that we didn’t […]

Pingback by Visit Sagada » Travel: My First Trip To Sagada

I have a question? How true that chubby people dont have the chance to pass the Sumaguing Cave? Well I am chubby so I would want to know po sana? Im a mountaineer pero chubby po ako… So no chance ba for me and also sa 3 ko pang group members?

Comment by Jen

@Jen

No that is not true. I cannot remember any spot in Sumaguing where it would be impossible for chubby people to pass. But if you are going to Sumaguing via a cave connection from Lumiang Cave, I think it will be harder, though still possible.

Comment by Angel

Well were planning to take Sumaguing Cave that will pass through Lumiang Cave. So what can you suggest us?

Comment by jen

Hi Jen.

The cave connection would be for you then. It’s 400 php (~10 USD) per head. It would require about 3-4 hours. You’ll do a bit of wading around, crawling, rappelling … basically a little bit of everything. Your guide will provide you with everything you need -the rope, lamp and helmets.

Comment by Benj

As for the prev question # 2 that was answered by Angel, you think we can pass though the connection?

Comment by jen

Old people have made that connection. People of all sizes have conquered the cave. If you have a decent sense of balance, you’ll definitely make it.

Comment by Benj

Ok.. Thank you very much.. About the guide fee… Would that be 400.00 per head or 400 for a group of 1-4?

Comment by jen

400 per head.

Comment by Benj

From Residential Lodge, how long will it take us to reach the Sumaguing Cave?

Comment by jen

Clarification lang po >>> For the former, the charge for a group of 10 people or less is a pretty affordable rate of 600 pesos.

This is P600.00 per head again or P600.00 for a group of 10 or less?

Comment by jen

That inquiry is for the Big Falls.

Comment by jen

600 for a group of 10.

Comment by Benj

Ulitin ko lang po yung tanong ko kanina.. From Residential Lodge, how long will it take us to reach the Sumaguing Cave?

Comment by jen

30 minute walk.

It’s one of the closest hotels to the cave. George is about 20 meters away from Residential so technically, it’s the closest by about 20-30 steps.

Comment by Benj

if sumaguing cave lang kami, how much will we be charged? we’re four in the group.

Comment by Carlo

Hi Carlo, your group will be charged P400.00. Since you are four, P100.00 each. :)

Comment by Angel

okay lang naman pagsabayin ang big falls at sumaguing cave in a day right? advisable ba?

thanks!

Comment by Carlo

and pag sumaguing cave lang, how long will the caving take?

thanks!

Comment by Carlo

Hi carlo, okay lang naman pagsabayin in a day. Caving in Sumaguing takes around one to two hours. You can sked the trek to Big falls sa morning and caving sa afternoon or the other way around.

Comment by Angel

Hi Angel, thanks! I am revising my itenerary kasi from 4/3 to 4/7 to 4/3 to 4/6 na lang so we’ll be in Manila by Sunday night.

We’ll arrive sa Sagada ng 4/4 noon and start the sightseeing tour sa afternoon. Big falls the next morning and sumaguing sa hapon. We’ll depart Sagada by 11AM siguro the next day (4/6) and be in Manila by 12MN of Sunday. Monday is rest time na :-)

Comment by Carlo

what do you think, di ba suicide yung gagawin namin?

Comment by Carlo

Personally, I think okay naman yang revised itin mo. :)

Comment by Angel

and if we’ll have the sightseeing tour (Echo Valley, Underground river, kiltepan site), gaano usually katagal to? kasi we might have to start ng 3PM na for this. kaya ba?

thanks!

Comment by Carlo

About three hours. 3 PM would be a bit late, but it’s still doable. The underground river has a challenging trail, but it’s really more of the journey and not the destination. It’s a river that goes into a cave. nothing much to see, really. :p

thanks Benj!

Comment by Carlo

is therer a map of sagada’s sceneries which will guide visitors?

Comment by Dawn

Is there a map of sagada’s sceneries which would guide visitors in there adventure

by Dawn

Comment by Dawn

Hi. Try using the search bar next time (Upper right corner on the sidebar)

Hi Guys!

I really enjoyed the spelunking at Sumaguing Cave! I cant imagine i made it with my knee having stitched due to a vehicular accident) 4 months ago. With just a little miscalculation on the step, another injury is not impossible. So far, this is the caving that i’ve exerted so much effort. But i love the part where we rappelled, the human ladder (poor tour guide) and of course, all those crawlings we made on the sandstone – we were treated to a free foot spa! Hehe.. The activity was all worth the scratches and “kaba”.

In my next trip, i’ll try cave connection!

Comment by Ching

Ching, wow! Are you sure you’re not suicidal? Hehehe. Just keep on truckin’!

Comment by Benj

elo..just want to ask if it’s best to visit sagada august to september…tnx

Comment by imelle

[…] Sumaguing Cave […]

Pingback by Visit Sagada » How To Tour Sagada

[…] planning to go under the caves of Sagada, I told the guys about the End of the World Argument of my […]

Pingback by Sagada Experience 6: End of the World | Armageddon 2 : Funny Side of the Story

Hello. I visited Sumaguing a few years ago on a January. I was told that the cave is also prone to flash flooding it certain times of the year. what are the best months to go there?

Comment by D. F.

Does the guide take you there directly by a vehicle? Or do you have to do a long hike to get there?

Comment by Winston

The entrance to the Sumaguing Cave is I think a fifteen minute walk from the town center.

Comment by Angel

[…] Sagada is famous for its cave system so no one should ever leave the town before checking out Sumaguing cave. It’s a twenty minute walk from the town center it’s a fairly easy hike up the road. […]

Pingback by Visit Sagada » Planning Your Itinerary 101

grabe! panalo! once in a lifetime experience visit at Sagada!

Comment by cris

okey ba magpunta ngayong december? puede ko ba isama mga anak namin? 8years old boy? thanks

Comment by Jhoel

Jhoel, he’ll enjoy it! Just read the weather report.

Comment by Benj

will be there in Sagada on Feb 25 at 12 noon. and will depart on Feb. 27.
would you care to give me the right itinerary for those dates? it would be my first time in sagada and wouldnt know what to do. any help i can get will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Comment by joel

we went to Sagada for our PI100 field trip, and so far, it is the most challenging cave i’ve ever went through! but i must say, that even with all those kaba and dirt, the experience is worth it!! ^^

i love the temperature of the water.. ^^

Comment by bea. ^^

Hi there, my friends and i are planning to stay for 4d/3n sana. is it possible to survive with only 5k each? we’ve tried to budget things but we can’t really total it kasi of the tour guide rates. it’s 400 for a grp. of 4 diba? but how many sites would that cover? do you recommend to hire a guide for each day? oh yeah, we plan to go after holy week. don’t they have peak rates or something? please suggest an itinerary na rin. :)

thank you, thank you sooo much! :)
(we’re a group of 4, all girls.)

Comment by Mm

Hi! this site has really helped me in my planning. im making my group’s IT and just want to know how many hours is the Lumiang-Sumaguing cave connection?

Claustrophobia issue
In the cave we went into in Cagayan, the water is upto our ears and our faces already touch the ceiling rocks just to be able to breath & we have to go underwater just to be able to exit the cave. my friend is very claustrophobic, i dont think he will survive another one like that. will there be something like that in the cave connexn?

Comment by ta

hi! this site is really great! it helped me alot in my planning. i just want to ask, how many hours is the cave connexn tour?

CLAUSTROPHOBIA ISSUE

thanks!

Comment by ta

hi! this site is great! it has helped me alot in my planning. i just want to know how many hours is the cave connexn tour?
CLAUSTROPHOBIA ISSUE
in the cave we went into in Cagayan de oro, there was a place where the water is upto to our ears and our faces already touch the ceiling rocks just to be able to breath and we have to go underwater to exit the cave. my friend is very claustrophic, i dont think he will survive another 1 like this. is there a place in the cave connexn similar to this?
thanks!

Comment by ta

Hi, Is it safe to bring a camera (non-water proof) when passing through cave connection? I hope to enjoy capturing the beauty of site & adventure of place. hope to hear from you soon, we’ll be there in 2 days. regards and more power to your site & blogs.

Comment by mAcer25

For a person with a minor slip disc,do you think Sumaguing cave will still be advisable as part of the trip to Sagada?How about the bumpy roads,is it still a worthy trip for a person with such health risks?Please advised.We’re planning to go this end of April or 1st week of May.Thanks a lot!

Comment by Ashley

With a minor slip disc,will the trip to sagada with bumpy roads and caving in Sumaguing be ok?

Comment by Ashley

weeeeeeeee.. punta kami sagada.. tom night alis namin.. sayang ngayon ko nalang nakita tong site na to.. punta kami sagada by discoverpinas..

Comment by cyndee

hello, 2 kami ng gf ko na pupunta sa Sagada. we arrive there around 11am. ano po ba ang mga suggested tours nyo para samin? 1 nyt lang kami sa sagada as we will be staying 1 nyt din sa banaue.

ano po ang mga sulit na puntahan sa sagada given na one night lang kami dun and would be ready to tour at 12pm?

ung mga tour ba na conducted by guides ay may kasamang sasakyan?

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas
Lestat

Comment by lestat

ung mga tour ba na conducted by guides ay may kasamang sasakyan?

Mabuhay
Lestas

Comment by lestat

We’re planning to go to Sagada for a second time at the end of October. We didn’t do Sumaging last time so we were hoping to see it this time. Is it safe to go there after Pepeng?

Comment by Scott

Hi Scott, yup, the roads are now open. :)

Comment by Benj

Hi. ask ko lang din to. claustrophobic din kasi ako. thanks!
“CLAUSTROPHOBIA ISSUE
the cave we went into in Cagayan de oro, there was a place where the water is upto our ears and our faces are already against the ceiling rocks just to be able to breath and we have to go underwater just to exit the cave. my friend is very claustrophobic & i dont think he will survive another 1 like this. is there a part in the cave connexn similar to this?”

Comment by mitzie

hi! ask ko lang if ok ba pumunta ng sagada with this weather? minsan umuulan ng malakas. is the road to sagada safe? we’re planning on going there this aug 29. and also, open ba ang sumaguing cave kung umuulan and ok ba bumaba ng cave? thanks!

Comment by kat

Sa mga informer about Sagada Caving.. very inofrmative po lahat ng sinasabi ninyo and we .. ( the 2 of us would ask sino po ang tour guide that would best fit to be our tour sa Sumaguing kasi po chubby ako 220 lbs.

Comment by neal

hi planning to go to sagada this January are the rates still the same ?

Comment by cee

Hi, inquire ko lang kung yung rate na nasa itaas is for sumaguing only or applicable din sya for cave connection?

Thanks!

Comment by rhea

cave connection is 400 per head (if there are 2 of you).

Comment by Benj

[…] those on a tight-budget but would still love to experience Sagada’s rugged terrain, try the cave connection tour and the trek to Bomod-ok […]

Pingback by How Bants Got Our Guide Hernia « couple of itchy feet

Warning about the cave tour!

We just did this cave tour yesterday. It was excruciating. You and the guides here NEVER told us how strenuous it was. There is no trail at all. It is all climbing slippery wet rocks and boulders, and felt very dangerous. And the last part was ridiculous. We had to take off our shoes and immerse ourselves in water. I was lucky my cell phone wasn’t damaged by water (which is why I carry a cheap one). At several points, you had to go down a vertical slope by rope. That is not easy for everyone.

The whole thing was very unreasonable, even though it was fun, and I am pissed that the websites don’t tell you that. This kind of climb should be labeled as only for advanced climbers, not for the general public. Usually only athletic types do this, so I don’t know why this activity is passed off as a mainstream activity for mainstream people.

See my trip report about it here:

Also, you should mention that the basic tour is at the prices above, whereas the cave connection extreme tour costs much more. Btw, the price for 1-4 people is now 500p.

Comment by Winston

I think the terms “slippery trail” and “waist deep water” would suffice as warnings to what people might expect. I’m sorry if you think it was way over the top in terms of difficulty.

I wouldn’t say it’s ridiculous. I think that a cave that has not altered in any great way is quite obviously a place that is not suitable for everyone.

Comment by Benj

hello! we’re planning to go to Sagada this october…I’d like to take my kids ages 13 & 12 with us. Is it safe for them to do the Sumaguing cave activity? my son is kinda “madaling ginawin”, can he endure the freezing water inside?

your suggestions will be very valuable to me…thanks in advance!

Comment by Mitch

Can an 8 year old handle the caves? We’re planning to go with my niece this April (week fter the Holy Week). Thanks.

Comment by Shy

i like to know also if my 9 year old daughter can handle the cave or is there any alternative or easier way to get in and out of the cave.i need to know as this will be my basis for going to sagada or not. thanks

Comment by krheigne

anyone who wants to join our group on april 28-may1 tour at sagada to lessen the expenses?were group of 4,txt me if interested. 09157425380

Comment by shena

yes,i thing a nine year old could handle the first floor of sumaguing cave,,especially if its summer cause the water is not that high leveled,and especially if your daughter is the adventurous or explorer type.Sumaguing cave visiting could be tiring but it worth it.

Comment by Hazel Pespes

[…] Sumaguing Cave (AKA The Big Cave) is arguably the best known attraction of Sagada. Caving is one of the more […]

Pingback by » Places to Go and Things To Do In Sagada – Part 1 Visit Sagada